AOG-Clan Official Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
AOG-Clan Official Forum

Army of God Clan Official Forum

First time here? Or been awhile? Please check out the Welcome Post First!!!!

You are not connected. Please login or register

Keep losing connection? Read this.

2 posters

Go down  Message [Page 1 of 1]

1Keep losing connection? Read this. Empty Keep losing connection? Read this. Sat Aug 08, 2009 9:05 pm

AOG-Gideon

AOG-Gideon
Admin

There are many areas of a home network that may cause loss of connection.
In order to properly diagnose the problem and fix it, you must have a basic understanding of the network.

We are going to take a very basic approach to this and imply two rules.
Rule # 1.) Most computer related problems are from mechanical parts failing
Rule # 2.) Think of internet like a railroad track. We need to look at each section in a linear fashion beginning at the start of the track to the end.

---------
If you have lost connection, or frequently lose connection, start at the source of your internet. Check that all wires are tight and in working order. You can test wires by switching them around in places that you know work. (This fixes 98% of connection issues).

Check to see if the wires/cables are plugged into the wall tight, and into your modem (Rule # 1). It is not uncommon for a wire/cable to magically become loose over time. When in doubt, replace the wire/cable with a known good one.

Next, check your DSL/Cable modem for connectivity. It should have status lights on it telling you if it has internet connectivity. At this point, if the internet light is not on, call your internet provider and yell at them until they fix it. If the internet light is on and ok then we need to keep checking cables. Make sure the wires are tight from the modem to the router or PS3 respectively.

If you do not use a router, and have the PS3 plugged directly into the internet modem, and the internet light is on, on the modem, then you need to redo your network configuration on the PS3. If that does not fix it, then your Ethernet component in your PS3 is going bad or the modem is going bad (only if all wires are good)(most likely your modem).

If you Do use a router, then we need to dig deeper. First off, access your routers' admin interface usually by using a computer on your home network and in the address bar, going to 192.168.1.1 or 192.168.1.2 or 192.168.2.1 or 192.168.1.100 . check your router manufacturers website for the exact address. Next we will need to find the MAC address of the PS3. You can find this on the PS3 under NETWORK SETTINGS>INFORMATION. Find the DMZ (De-Militarized Zone) on your router settings and add your PS3 to the list. This puts your PS3 in front of the router firewall. A firewall is not needed for a PS3 as it is more secure than our Government computers.

If you lose connection in certain games. We will want to search for that games "Ports" for the PS3 and add them to the routers allowed list for the PS3.

If all else fails, unplug everything. Then wait one minute in between the following > plug in modem > one minute > plug in router > one minute > plug in PS3 > one minute. It might work.

That pretty much sums it up. Start at the beginning and check every little connection. Work your way to the end. Most troubles come from lose wires.
They just seem to undo themselves.

If you have good internet, wires, modem, PS3, then message me for more help.

Good luck.

2Keep losing connection? Read this. Empty Re: Keep losing connection? Read this. Wed Sep 23, 2009 11:51 pm

Aog-Big_act

Aog-Big_act
Admin

i like the part about "yell at them" lol... thats what I do.. my girl usually calls them and gets nothing done so I say "gimme the phone I have no problem telling them what I think about there shitty ass internet" lol... then the job gets done b/c they get tired of some asshole irritating them they just do whatever to get me off the phone.. lmao. i love it

3Keep losing connection? Read this. Empty Re: Keep losing connection? Read this. Thu Mar 01, 2012 8:54 pm

AOG-Gideon

AOG-Gideon
Admin

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 1]

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum